M.Sc. in Biotechnology is a 2-year program that offers in-depth knowledge in the field of Biotechnology and makes the student an expert in applying biotech techniques in engineering, designing, and technology. A degree program in the area of Biotechnology can cover one or a combination of any of the following topics:
- Genomics and Proteomics
- Biochemical and biophysical techniques
- Stem Cell Technology and Regenerative Medicines
- Bioprocess Engineering Agricultural Biotechnology
- Advanced Genetics
The students pursuing this degree are also given detailed information about applying the biotechnological process and products in everyday life. Microbes are used for treating many diseases and meeting deficiency problems. This is an area of research that is greatly focused on biotechnological principles.
Scope of M.Sc. in Biotechnology
With a sudden boom in biotechnological engineering and the application of genetic engineering and genetically modified organisms in everyday life, the scope of biotechnology is already very vast, and it is growing every day.
From large-scale medicine-producing industries to agriculture, cosmetics, and even food production on a small or large scale cannot be imagined without biotechnology. After studying things like immunology and virology, a biotechnologist also plays an important role in prohibiting the outbreak of pandemics and the development of immunity and vaccines.
Career options for M.Sc. in Biotechnology:
If you have a master’s degree in biotechnology, you can work in any research and development lab to keep exploring new ways biotechnology can benefit humankind. But even if you do not want to do research, you have a plethora of Government and private sector jobs that you can get. A few job profiles related to Biotechnology may be:
- Forensic Science Technicians
- Environmental Biotechnologist
- Molecular Biotechnologist
- Pharmaceutical Biotechnologist
- Public health expert
Programme offered at
- GITAM School of Science, Visakhapatnam campus
Duration of the Programme
- 2 Years
- A pass in the qualifying exam with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks in the concerned discipline from any recognized university and also the candidate has to appear for GAT (PG Science) 2022.
- B.Sc. with Biological Science/Chemistry/ Bioinformatics/BEM/B.Sc. Food Science/Home Science/ B.Pharm./BPT/MLT/BDS/B.Sc. Agriculture