B.Sc. Food Science and Technology
B.Sc. in Food Science and technology is a 3-year program that is getting increasingly popular every year. It is with the preparation, manufacturing and preservation of food safely and efficiently. This programme gives the student in-depth knowledge about the processes and technological activities involved in such industries.
A degree program in this area will cover the following topics:
- Food chemistry, microbiology and analysis
- Nutrition, fruits, milk, vegetables
- Sanitation, Hygiene, Packing, and Preservation
- Lab quality control
Additionally, the students are also given a brief idea about the accounting, finance and auditing of the food businesses and a short insightful lesson on the businesses related to the food industry.
Scope of B.Sc. in Food Science and Technology
Once a student has completed the degree of B.Sc. in Food Science and Technology, they are capable enough to understand the technological processes that are involved in the production and manufacturing of food items, and thus they can work in any food manufacturing and packaging industry as a technical head or a quality control officer. Another growing demand for students of B.Sc. in Food Science and Technology is in food journalism and TV shows related to food.
Career options for B.Sc. in Food Science and Technology
Students who are willing to choose BSc in Food Science and Technology as a programme need not be worried about their future as they have a lot of job opportunities. Some of the job opportunities after a BSc in Food Science and Technology include:
- Food Technologist
- Quality control officer
- Technical brewer
- Food production manager
- Food purchasing manager
Programme offered at
- GITAM School of Science, Visakhapatnam Campus
- GITAM School of Science, Hyderabad Campus
- GITAM School of Science, Bengaluru Campus
Duration of the programme
- 3 Years
- A pass with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks or second division in the group (Optional Subjects) in Intermediate/10+2 examination from recognized State Boards/CBSE/ICSE or equivalent.
- Intermediate/10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics/Biology or equivalent