The Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology is a three-year undergraduate program that thoroughly investigates a biological process designed for industrial applications, such as genetically modifying microorganisms to produce antibiotics, hormones, and other substances used to manufacture medicines, among other things.
Biotechnology programmes impart knowledge in fundamental subjects that aid students in getting ready for and overcoming difficult challenges. They have as their goals the development of products and technologies that lessen the environmental footprint, fight rare diseases, feed the hungry, use cleaner energy, and use efficient industrial manufacturing processes.
The syllabus structure of the B. Sc. Biotechnology program consists of general elective programmes and involves both academic and practical areas. Listed below are a few subjects that university students study.
- Analysis of the macromolecular structure
- Cell structure and Dynamics
- Biophysics and Instruments
Scope of B.Sc. Biotechnology
Students can find work prospects after earning a bachelor's degree in biotechnology in various fields and industries, including agriculture, animal husbandry, environmental conservation, genetic engineering, health care, and medicine. Higher education options like an M.Sc. in Biotechnology are also available. Students who earn a postgraduate degree in biotechnology might discover good work prospects in research and development. The main employers of B. Sc. Biotechnology graduates are government hospitals, bioindustries, and research institutions.
Career options for B. Sc. Biotechnology
The B. Sc. Biotechnology program graduates can find employment in bioinformatics, medicine, and computer-assisted research. Candidates who have completed the Biotechnology programme have various employment options in both the public and commercial sectors. A few of the top career prospects for this programme.
- Research Associate
- Lab technician
- Medical transcriptionist
Programme offered at
- GITAM School of Science, Visakhapatnam Campus
- GITAM School of Science, Benguluru Campus
Duration of the Programme
- 3 Years
- A pass with minimum of 50% aggregate marks or second division in group (Optional Subjects) in Intermediate/10+2 examination from recognized State Boards/CBSE/ICSE or equivalent.
- Intermediate/10+2 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics / Biology or equivalent D.Pharmacy / Vocational Programme with Fisheries / Sericulture / Dairying