Bachelor of Physiotherapy
Physiotherapy is one of the upcoming and sought-after professions in the healthcare sector. The Bachelor of Physiotherapy ( BPT) Program is a 4-year programme plus 6 months of compulsory rotatory clinical internship. Physiotherapy is essential to the multidisciplinary team in the healthcare domain. It caters mainly to individuals with disabilities and aims at uplifting their overall functions, making them independent.
Students study in detail the structure and functions of the human body systems during the Bachelor's Program. They learn to assess the patients and prescribe appropriate tailor-made rehabilitation protocols to help improve their quality of life. They also learn to operate various modalities which aid in their rehabilitation.
Some of the topics addressed in the Bachelor of Physiotherapy programme are:
- Specialised Therapeutic Exercise Techniques
- Pain Alleviation Therapy
- Biomechanics & Kinesiology
Scope of Bachelor of Physiotherapy
The BPT curriculum is designed to enable the students to understand the essential information required to assess, diagnose and treat patients. A Bachelor of Physiotherapy degree includes all facets of physiotherapy rather than concentrating on one particular area.
Students can enrol in a Master of Physiotherapy or MPT degree to specialise in a particular area. Later they can pursue a PhD programme in the topic of their interest. Some of the sought-after physiotherapy specialisations are listed below:
- Master of Physiotherapy in Neurological Conditions
- Master of Physiotherapy in Musculoskeletal Conditions
- Master of Physiotherapy in Cardiopulmonary Conditions
- Master of Physiotherapy in Community-based Rehabilitation
- Master of Physiotherapy in Women’s Health
- Master of Physiotherapy in Sports
Career option for Bachelor of Physiotherapy
After receiving their BPT, graduates can continue their studies at a higher level or specialise in the discipline. Graduates of the BPT program can also enrol in postgraduate programs in hospital administration, business management, public health management, and other fields. Among many of the job opportunities available for physiotherapy students, here are a few.
- Independent Physiotherapists
- Physiotherapists at Hospitals/Clinics
- Tutor/clinician at University
- Pursue further Specialization
Programme offered at
- GITAM School of Physiotherapy, GIMSR Campus
Duration of the programme
- 4 years 6 months
- A minimum of 60% or 6.0 CGPA (55% in case of CBSE and ICSE) aggregate marks in the Intermediate or 12th examination from a recognised central / state board or its equivalent with Biology, Physics, Chemistry and English subjects in academic years