Optometry is a four-year undergraduate program that teaches students how to examine, diagnose, and treat eye conditions and the organs related to the eye. The curriculum aims to fully grasp visual system illnesses, their diagnosis, treatment, etc. Students who complete the B Optometry programme know how to handle the tools necessary to diagnose and treat vision-related issues.
The programme helps students learn the science underlying the materials used, the physiology of the eye, and ideas from physics, chemistry, and other fields that are implemented in the technical computations and creation of corrective eye equipment.
Optometry programme syllabus includes some important topics related to ocular (optical/visual) anatomy, general anatomy, ocular pharmacology, ocular disorders, and neurophysiology of the visual system are included in the
Scope of B. Optometry
Candidates who desire to start a career in optometry can enroll in a specialized degree program called a Bachelor of Optometry. It offers a variety of professional options, including the chance to pursue ocular research and discover fresh approaches to identifying, treating, and ultimately curing eye problems and illnesses. In addition, the B.Optometry degree programme offers specializations in several areas, including pediatric eye care, low vision, contact lenses, vision rehabilitation, ocular diseases, and people with special needs.
Career options for B. Optometry
Optometrists are in great demand around the nation. The industry offers students several career prospects and the ability to work for themselves. Depending on your job goals or skill level, you have a variety of possibilities to pick from.
- Independent optical business and optometry practice.
- Managing the profession of optometry at eye clinics and hospitals as an optometrist
- A lucrative corporate career in eye care, such as contact lenses, ophthalmic lenses, etc.
- Excellent employment prospects are available.
Programme offered at
- GITAM School of Science, Hyderabad Campus
Duration of the programme
- 4 Years
- A pass with minimum of 50% aggregate marks or second division in group (Optional Subjects) in Intermediate/10+2 examination from recognized State Boards/CBSE/ICSE or equivalent.
- A minimum of 55% aggregate marks in the qualifying examination with Mathematics/Biology, Physics & Chemistry subjects.