For GITAMites to have the safest, most secure, and most comfortable stay on campus during their time here, the university has a few guidelines for the residents:
- Anti-Ragging: Ragging is strictly prohibited. Suppose a Residence student is involved in any such activity, which causes inconvenience, or embarrassment or constitutes physical or mental violence towards other residents, they shall be dealt with severely as per UGC guidelines.
- Personal information: The residents should furnish the permanent and temporary address, telephone, and mobile number of the parent/ guardian. Any information change mentioned above should be intimated to the student residence administration.
- Room allocation and continuity in residence:
- Unauthorized changing of rooms is not allowed. As per the need, the administration reserves the right to shuffle their rooms whenever required. In this regard, objections are not entertained by the residents.
- Yearly/semester renewal in residence is based on the student's behaviour and academic performance. Suppose any student fails or is detained in any semester. In that case, they will not be permitted to stay in the Residence further.
- All the residents should hand over the room in person at the end of the semester/academic year to the Residence Manager.
- After completing the final semester, the student must vacate the Residence immediately before the last date as notified by the Residence Manager after clearing all Residence and dining bills, if any are pending.
- If a student is expected to continue in the Residence beyond the last date notified for some specific reason, they must obtain permission from the Residence manager.
- Residents are not supposed to indulge in verbal or physical violence with their fellow residents or staff. They are required to maintain peace and decorum on the premises. Any resident who indulges in any activity that violates this will face disciplinary action and will be dealt with as per the state's laws.
- Residents are not supposed to possess any objectionable or illegal items. The Residence Manager is at liberty to inspect the belongings, including the cupboards of the residents, in case of any doubt or suspicions, at any time, irrespective of whether the resident is available or not. Residents are liable to expulsion if any such objectionable items are found.
- All residents should maintain their residences clean and cooperate with the staff. Residents are not permitted to make any loud noises. All students should switch off their lights and fans when leaving the room. Quiet time is to be observed from 10 Pm - 7 am, and any activity amounting to disturbance will not be permitted.
- If any intentional indiscipline is observed, an appropriate fine will be imposed, or the student may be expelled from the residence.
- Posters/ captions/. In that case, graffiti should not be written/pasted on the walls/doors apart from the space provided.
- Residents are discouraged from staying in rooms, particularly during their college timings, except on genuine grounds with permission from the residence manager.
- Residents must complete online shopping pick-ups between 6 am - 9 pm.
- Residents are only permitted to entertain outside guests in their rooms with prior permission from the residence manager. If any outsider is found in residence without permission, a warning may be issued, or a monetary fine may be collected from all room residents.
- Residents are requested to receive phone calls between 6 AM - 10 PM to avoid causing disturbance to roommates. Anyone wanting to take late-night calls should move to the designated student lounge within the residence.
- Residents cannot use clothes iron or immersion heaters in their rooms. If any resident is found using the same, they are liable to pay a fine. Common facilities for ironing and hot water will be provided.
- Celebrations are allowed only in designated student areas and at specified times to avoid inconveniencing other residents
- Outdoor games and sports likely to cause damage to facilities indoors are not permitted.
- Any type of personal/group celebrations must be restricted to designated areas with prior information and booking of venues. Care should be taken to ensure there is no disturbance caused to the residents.
- Any use of vulgar/explicit/abusive language or gestures or displays will lead to an immediate issue of warning and/or expulsion from residence based on the severity of the violation under the authority of the Director of Student Life.
- Cleanliness and hygiene:
- Residents are expected to take the food prepared in the dining halls' mess and no outside food is allowed inside the dining hall or student room to ensure hygiene maintenance.
- Outside food may only be consumed in a designated area in each student residence.
- No student should intentionally waste food material or damage the cutlery. Costs will be recovered from individuals found engaging in such activity.
- Any food items and utensils from the dining hall should not be taken outside.
- Any deviation will be considered seriously and punished suitably.
- Dining hall timings will not be extended.
- The Residence Manager and security personnel monitor security inside the residences and on campus.
- Residents will be given ID cards which must be produced whenever required.
- Gambling, smoking, consuming alcohol, using drugs and narcotics, and possessing such things are strictly prohibited. Anyone found in violation of this will be dealt with accordingly.
- Residence authorities are not responsible for any loss of students' items. They should make sure to take care of their belongings. It is advised not to reveal ATM card PINs to anyone.
- As a precautionary measure, residents are advised not to keep valuable things and cash in their rooms.
- Residents are advised to deposit excess money in the bank.
- All the students should pay their bills for the semester on or before the 05th of each month without fail. Rentals may change from time to time as decided by the management.
- If students maintain their dues beyond one month, they will not be permitted to stay in residence.
- Caution deposit is not adjustable to any monthly bill. This will be adjusted or refunded at the time of vacating the residence.
- The infrastructure fee/GU management fund will not be adjusted or refunded once paid. Even if the student discontinues their studies or vacates the residence for any reason.
- Given the geographical location of the campus and the safety thereof, students are not encouraged to leave the campus between 9:00 PM - 6:00 AM. Students, in any case, must return to the residence by 9 PM on weekdays and by 9.30 PM on weekends.
- Attendance will be recorded by the residence managers between 9:30 PM and 10:30 PM every night. Each resident has to personally sign the attendance register/ biometric attendance record every day at the residence reception. After recording attendance, the student cannot leave the Residence Premises. Any violation will attract penal action.
- Residents who wish to leave the station shall apply for leave and obtain permission in writing two days in advance by emailing email@example.com
- The helpdesk staff will verify the leave permission from your parents
- They shall also intimate the address of their stay during this period and the date of return to the hostel.
- Residents have to take separate permission from HODs for leave from academic sessions.
- The student is permitted to go out of the station to participate in various competitions only after submitting an application with proof and the parent's consent to the Director and getting permission from the Director. The student has to intimate the residence manager and make an entry in the outstation register kept with them.
- The student is permitted to go out of campus within the same city to participate in various competitions after submitting an application with proof and getting permission from the Director. The student has to intimate the residence manager and make an entry in the outstation register kept with them.
- If any student is seriously sick/hospitalised, the parent/guardian should attend immediately to care for the ward.
- If there is a delay, the student may be taken to the GIMSR hospital. The student will bear all medical expenses.
- No student can accompany any other resident to the hospital if they need medical assistance. The sick student will be accompanied by the concerned residence staff only.
Parents and local guardians may visit between 5-8 PM on weekdays and between 10 AM - 8 PM on weekends and public holidays by appointment only.
Penalty and dues:
The damage to the residential properties will be collected along with additional fines from the student concerned. If no specific student is identified, the same will be included in the general breakage/damage cost and collected from all residents of the particular block/floor as decided by the residence manager.
For more information, please visit our page: https://www.gitam.edu/campus-life/residential-life-visakhapatnam